Bedern National School

Last Updated: 19/02/2018

Bedern National School

This school for boys, girls, and infants was built between 1872 and 1873 by the York National School Society with aid from the state and the central funds of the National Society. The site, at the corner of Bedern and St. Andrewgate, was given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The boys' school was opened in August 1873 and the girls' and infants' departments three months later. There was accommodation for 570 in 3 schoolrooms and 3 classrooms. The attendance in 1873 was 325; fees were 1d to 4d for boys, 2d to 6d for girls, and 1d to 2d for infants. The school first received an annual government grant in 1880. The accommodation had been increased to 608 by 1897; the average attendance was then 544. In 1913 the infants' department was closed and the school reorganized to accommodate 407 pupils; alterations to the buildings were made after 1914 with the aid of a grant from the National Society. The average attendance decreased from 332 in 1919 to 107 in 1938. From 1932 there were junior mixed and infants' departments only. The school was requisitioned for military purposes in 1939 and closed in 1940. The building still stands and is used for commercial purposes.
(Ref: http://www.british-history.ac.uk)

 


If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here

Home Back