Knavesmire Primary/Secondary School

Last Updated: 26/05/2020

Knavesmire County Primary and Secondary Modern Schools.

South Bank Temporary School was opened in St. Clement's mission room, South Bank Avenue, in 1906. South Bank Temporary Infants' School was opened in the premises of the Adult School, Balmoral Terrace, in 1911. There were 159 children enrolled in the 2 temporary schools in 1914. Both these schools were closed in 1916 when the Knavesmire Council School, Campleshon Road, Bishopthorpe Road, was opened. There was accommodation for 800 boys, girls, and infants. In 1919 202 boys, 211 girls, and 227 infants were enrolled. Extensions, including a new wing, were made in 1931 to increase the accommodation by 160 places. The school was reorganized before 1932 when there were 151 senior boys, 183 senior girls, and 336 juniors and infants attending. In 1956 there were 380 girls enrolled in the secondary school and 350 juniors and infants in the primary school.
(Ref: http://www.british-history.ac.uk)

 


If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here

Home Back