Queen Street School
Last Updated: 19/02/2018
Micklegate Trinity National School for boys was
opened in 1835. The building was erected with the aid of National
Society and government grants on a site at the corner of Queen Street
outside Micklegate Bar, given at a nominal rent by the corporation.
There was accommodation for 250; fees were 1d a week. The average
attendance was 160 in 1838. A separate girls' and infants' school
had been opened in a private house before 1847. The average attendance
was then 130 boys and 84 girls. There were a master and a mistress
assisted by a monitor and assistant. A new schoolroom and classroom for
girls was built with the aid of a government grant in 1853, on a site in
Blossom Street adjacent to Micklegate Bar. The average attendance was
100 girls. The school first received an annual government grant in 1854.
All the accommodation in the school was filled by 1893 when the managers
suggested that more accommodation was needed in the district. The
average attendance was 517 in 1894; after 1897 there was a steady
decline in the attendance. In 1923 the senior department in Queen Street
was closed and the building subsequently demolished. The average
attendance in the junior mixed and infants' school in Blossom Street was
151 in 1927; the school became a voluntary controlled school in 1949 and
was closed in 1956.
If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here