Scarcroft Primary School

Last Updated: 30/12/2019

Scarcroft County Primary and Secondary Modern Boys' Schools.

Temporary accommodation for 150 children of infant and standard-one age was provided by the Board in 1895 in the Primitive Methodist mission room, Nunnery Lane. The building was leased from the Victoria Bar Primitive Methodist Connexion. The Nunnery Lane School was closed in July 1896 and in August of that year Scarcroft Road Board School was opened on the north-east side of Micklegate Stray. There were 2 halls and 21 classrooms with accommodation for 1,200 children. There were 168 children enrolled in 1897. In 1910 there were 852 in the mixed and 323 in the infants' departments. The school was reorganized into three departments before 1932, when there were 244 enrolled in the senior mixed, 228 in the junior mixed, and 231 in the infants' departments. The senior school was subsequently altered to accommodate boys only and in 1956 there were 280 enrolled; there were then 270 in the junior and 110 in the infants' schools.
(Ref: http://www.british-history.ac.uk)

 


If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here

Home Back