St Barnabas School
Last Updated: 19/01/2020
St Barnabas's Church (later National) School, at first known as St. Paul's Foundry, was opened in 1877 in a temporary wooden building. There was 1 schoolroom and in the first year 10 boys, 15 girls, and 55 infants were attending. Fees were 3d for boys and girls and 2d for infants. The first annual government grant was received in 1878. In 1885 a new school was erected at the corner of Gladstone Street and Hanover Street, with the aid of government and National Society grants, at a cost of £2,161. There was accommodation for 221 boys and girls and 221 infants. Fees were then 2d, 3d, and 4d according to standard. The schoolroom was licensed for divine service. The average attendance in 1887 was 112. In that year 2 classrooms were added with accommodation for 57 more children; the cost was £413 and a grant was received from the National Society. In 1895 accommodation for 60 more children in 3 classrooms and 2 schoolrooms was added with the aid of a further grant. Total accommodation was then 560 and in 1897 there was an average attendance of 424 children. In 1913 the name of the school was changed to St Barnabas's. The senior department was closed before 1932 when there was accommodation for junior mixed and infants only. In that year there was an average attendance of 235. After 1950 the school was continued as a voluntary controlled junior and infant school; there were 180 children enrolled in 1956.
If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here