St Clements Primary School
Last Updated: 07/10/2019
St. Clement's, sometimes known as Bishophill and
Clementhorpe Church School, Cherry Street, was opened in 1872 in a new
building which had been erected by subscription and with the aid of a
government grant. Accommodation was for boys', girls', and infants'
departments with a schoolroom and a classroom for each. There was a
staff of 3, a master and 2 mistresses. Fees were 2d, 3d,
and 4d for boys and girls and 1d and 2d for
infants. The school first received an annual government grant in 1877.
In 1878 there was an average attendance of 366 boys and girls and 33
infants. The accommodation was increased before 1894 to 1,019 places and
attendance rose to 930 by 1910. In 1932 there were 172 attending the
junior school and 169 the infants'. After 1950 there were two voluntary
aided schools; 130 juniors and 80 infants were enrolled in 1956.
If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here