St John's Voluntary Secondary School

Last Updated: 09/09/2018

The Practising School and the Model School of the York and Ripon Diocesan Training College were opened in 1851 and 1859 respectively in schoolrooms attached to the college buildings in Lord Mayor's Walk. The Practising School replaced, for training purposes, the Middle School of day and boarding pupils from the Yeoman School. In 1853 there were 121 boys attending; 6 classes were taught under a monitorial system in one room. The Model School was opened in 1859, also in the Training College building, as a demonstration school; the fees were 4d. and 6d. Graduated fees of 5s. to 10s. a quarter were paid in 1865; the pupils were said to receive 'superior instruction'. No government aid was received; there were then 80 boys in the school. In 1874 there were 82 boys in the Practising School and 79 in the Model School. The two schools were supported by the Training College funds and were complementary, the best teaching methods being illustrated in the Model School for the students who then practised them in the other. A new combined school building was erected on a site close to the Training College in 1899, with some aid from the National Society and Diocesan Boards. From this time the schools appear to have been considered as one. The new building accommodated 338 boys; fees were 5s. and 7s. 6d. a quarter. The average attendance was 193 boys in 1910. The school was reorganized before 1932 into a senior boys' school; 84 were enrolled in 1938. The school was continued as a voluntary aided secondary modern school for boys after 1948; 200 boys were enrolled in 1956.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk

 


If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here

Home Back