St Lawrence C of E School

Last Updated: 04/08/2020

St Lawrence's Voluntary Primary Schools

St. Lawrence's National School was opened in 1872 in a new building in Lawrence Lane behind St. Lawrence's Church. The cost was £2,300; National Society and government grants were received. There were three schoolrooms and two classrooms, with places for 428 boys, girls and infants. Fees were from 2d to 6d. An annual government grant was first received in 1873. The average attendance was then 235. In 1878 accommodation for 250 more children was added. In 1910 the average attendance was 249 in the boys', 200 in the girls', and 230 in the infants' departments. There were only two departments in 1932: junior mixed and infants. In 1936 the average attendance was 580. The schools were continued as voluntary aided primary schools after 1950; 230 were enrolled in the junior and 120 in the infants' schools in 1956.
(Ref: http://www.british-history.ac.uk)

 


If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here

Home Back