St Thomas's Primary School, Lowther Street

Last Updated: 18/11/2019

St Thomas's Voluntary Primary School

Groves Church School appears to have been opened in 1831 in a new building in Cole Street erected by an unidentified local person. The building later became the property of the York Church Sunday School Committee; there was one schoolroom. In 1836 there were said to be 55 boys and 34 girls attending the school which had 2 teachers. In 1855 there were 51 boys and 54 girls in average attendance; 3 classrooms had been added to the school by this date. In 1856 the school was described on inspection as overcrowded. The first annual government grant was received in 1855. The school received an income of 13s from Ripley's charity. In 1858 the school was closed and the children transferred to new buildings adjacent to St Thomas's Church in Lowther Street, known as St Thomas's School. This school was provided by the Diocesan Board with the aid of a government grant and was in union with the National Society. There were boys', girls', and infants' departments; in 1867 the attendance was 165. The accommodation was increased from 315 places to 420 before 1887; the average attendance was then 379. The boys' department was closed before 1893. The average attendance was 356 in 1910 and fees were still paid. The school was reorganized before 1932 into junior mixed and infants' departments and in 1936 there were 238 children. The school continued as a voluntary-aided junior and infant school after 1950; 160 children were enrolled in 1956. The original school in Cole Street has been demolished.
(Ref: http://www.british-history.ac.uk)

 


If you have any feedback on this or other matter - Click Here

Home Back